Friday, December 8, 2006

Riding Solo


Today was a beautiful day sunny warm and not to much wind. I decided to ride solo as the Rev and DC were up in Grayling riding their snowmachines. Solo rides can be cool. Time to think reflect and to ride at your pace. I decided to do the paint creek to Stoney ride and as I pedaled there was one thing that kept going through my mind. We recently lost our 15 year old yellow lab and I've been missing her. Bailey was the best dog ever hands down. She was smart, obedient and all she wanted was to please you. From the first day we got her I knew there was something different about her. She was super intelligent, she never wandered off of the property (even without a fence) and she followed hand and verbal commands like she knew just what I was thinking. As a puppy and younger dog she could run like the wind. My parents have a weim (known for their boundless energy) and she could run her into the ground but at the end of the day all she wanted to do was lay down on the couch and snuggle. I truly think she was some kind of old soul. Unfortunately dogs like people age. About 3 months ago she started having seizures...The vet put her on phenobarbitol which helped but in the end she started having seizures once a day and it just became to much. We had to put her down and that was the hardest thing I've ever done. Saying farewell to a friend that gave you unconditional love is super hard. It is weird not hearing her toes click across the floor and when I open the garage door I still expect her to be there waiting for me. Zach still misses her, he'll walk around the house calling "Bailey" looking for her in all of her usual spots. I kinda want a new dog, I even know what breed I want (Vizsla) but I'm afraid that a new dog just won't be the same. I truly think that Bailey was one of a kind. How many dogs sleep under your covers and keep your feet warm in the winter? I'll have to think about it some more.

No comments: