Monday, December 4, 2006

Michigan state cross championships

Test 1-2....Thunder road baby....Here it goes....It was cold. Really freaking cold. Did I mention that it was cold. Driving to waterford hills all I could think of was thank god this is the last race of the season. I was mentally cooked and my left knee had been killing me for the last 2 weeks. I tried to warm up on the trainer behind cross crazy's trailer but the wind was so nasty and biting that I had to wear my winter coat and jeans just to fend of the chills. After Andy B's race Dave wanted a team picture so it was time to doff the coat and that is when really struck me how cold it was. Andrea come on get your camera and lets get this thing going! Then it was time to take a quick pre-ride. The course was open and flat with a two sets of barriers and as Robert lined us up all I wanted to do was try to stay with Mike S. On the line Rachel was next 2 me and next to her was my old nemesis Baldovery. The race starts and Mike takes off like a rocket. Gary is behind him (remarkably) and then I am third. Gary comes over into my line somewhat and all I can think about is getting around this choad. Through the grass and back onto the pavement and he is gone. I get passed up by a couple of guys through the chicane and settle in. I hear someone on my wheel the only thing that I can think is try to keep the pace up and I hope that it isn't someone close to me in the points. The next thing I know KABOOM Rachel goes past me. Sweet... Not only do I get a nice view but I figure we can work together. Now I've got to say that I heard people out there saying shit like "come on don't let a girl beat U" but I'm hear to tell U that she is for real and deserves props. We took turns working until about the 5th lap when I once again pulled my left calf on the far hill run up and I could only watch as everyone pulled away. I finished 7th which is totally cool with me. The real truth is I like riding my bike much more than I do racing and I'm looking forward to the off season and backing the pace down. DC and I even rode a chill lap at PLRA today hunting for Speky but we never did see him even after Don stopped to piss. Congrats to Jon Card who rode an awesome series. Congrats also 2 The Wizz for keeping the focus and 2 Jeff who was always in the mix. Big props to DC, Jay Moncel, Andy B, Mike S and of course Cross Crazy for rocking the Mic. Here's to next season and an off season of skiing and BASE MILES!!

No comments: