Thursday, January 18, 2007

Reminiscing about the days growing up and the first person U kissed

Not really much to blog about lately...Riding outside is cold and nasty...I put in 2 hrs on the road on tuesday and by the time I got home my legs were literally numb and I had to take a 20 minute shower just to get the feeling back. I have to admit the sun glistening down on the iced tree limbs was kinda cool. Nice effect. Being on long solo rides gives one alot of time to reflect on life, bikes, whatever. Recently I've been thinking about building up an old BMX bike...Something to ride around the block with the kids...Nothing will ever replace my first real bike a mongoose team goose complete with blue anodized frame rims...That bike was the stuff. I then moved on to a SE racing Quadangle...Still one of the coolest bikes ever made I wish I had that one back. Complete with the landing gear fork. My first mountain bike was a specialized stumpjumper circa 1990...maybe earlier. Nice bike but not as cool as the Klein attitude that I bought off of Rich Nell (Tom Nell's youngest son) I still remember the color Horizon Linear fade complete with nuke proof hubs laced with Ti spokes...Boy did those things suck after one year that wheelset literally exploded. Ti spokes are very flexy and are prone to break. The next rig Tom Nell said I needed to have was the world famous Trek Y33. Single pivot URT the thing climbed like a big pile of crap..and it was heavy...The best thing was all of the crap that Tom sold me along with it.."U gotta get the Grafton levers and who could forget the Pauls brakes...Kooka cranks with a Ti bottom bracket...I had more money tied up in that bike...Then came the Gary Fisher supercaliber. The coolest thing about that one was the Blue to Kawasaki green paint job complete with the first Sid fork and Mavic crossmax wheels. Those crossmax's were light but the rims were prone to having the spoke nipple pull through the rim...Again one seasons worth of riding out of a hoop. Next came the Cannondale and the rest is history...Headshock..best thing ever...closed unit, no crap to bind up the sliders...bullet proof and so precise that it carves like a ginsu....Well that is all 4 now. Gotta think about getting tonight's ride in...hope it isn't to cold.....TC

No comments: