Thursday, June 21, 2007

Random thoughts

As I set out for tonights ride I had several random thoughts running through my mind. I usually don't like wind but today something was different. The lake at Stoney had small whitecaps on it and there were several people windsurfing. I used to teach windsurfing...Orchard lake lessons starting at 10 and 1. It was awesome work for a 17 yr old kid. Five bucks an hour cash under the table it was sweet, sun, little real work and the chance to sail all day (plus occasionally there were the hotties that came up to the boathouse in their bikinis). I would ride my bike from my parents house (about 3 miles away) work until 5pm then ride home or occasionally to my brother's house on cass lake or even PLRA in the day. I had this job for like 5 years until I finished college and I made some of the best friends through working at Michigan Windsurfing. Sadly,Jim Coulter the owner of the shop really didn't have much business sense and ran the place into the ground. The original store which I helped build is still located in the plaza in Keego Harbor but now a store called The Windsurf Company TWC is housed there. Well anyways seeing those people on the lake brought up some old memories. I always loved sailing the only thing is that in Michigan there really isn't much wind except in the late fall or early spring when it is freaking cold and unfortunately I got to the point where unless it was blowing sailing wasn't fun anymore. Well so much for the walk down memory lane. Just wondering if a trail is well marked and suppose you have ridden it before how can one get lost even with a poor sense of direction? Just wondering...TC

2 comments:

ask said...

Ask RS, she is an expert at getting lost.

Only windsurfing experience was off Long Island during a jellyfish epidemic - not a good experience to say the least.

sworksredace said...

I had many good times on my boards...But once I had been out to Hood river and Maui I couldn't get back into it in Michigan. Although today did look tempting. The beaches were also nicer to hang out in afterwards...beats changing and hanging out in a parking lot.