Sunday, June 24, 2007

Nostalgia day at ILRA

Today was nostalgia day at ILRA....Well make that yesterday...As DC, Terry and I pulled into the lot at the trailhead we saw two guys with their Y's on their racks. Brought back some memories...I had one just like this back in the day...I'm not sure what year it was but according to Tom Nell I had to have one. These guys were eager to talk about how they have updated their bikes through the years and that even though they ride newer FS bikes they still love the old Y. I have to say while I had a lot of good memories of my bike I wasn't to sad to see it leave. DC had a friend named Ford who wanted to buy it (before the days of EBAY) and I couldn't wait to unload it. I even saw the guy riding it a few times at PLRA and talked to him but that was a few years ago. I'll never forget the feeling of compressing that rear end and waiting for it to rebound or the way that bike used to pogo up the hill when you stood up and tried to hammer. But anyway I knew that today was going to be a ballbuster. Friday's ride was supposed to be an easy recovery ride at PLRA that saw Butt wick it up from the get go ...I love those hot laps. So needless to say I didn't have much more to offer only 12 hrs later. Well the ride did start slow but once we crested the sand hill by the lake that all the tri-geeks swim in it was on..DC was up to warp speed and I was cooked. Terry and I finished off one lap and I was actually contemplating only doind one lap but Terry coaxed me into another lap..."come on we'll take it slow and let Don go" Yeah right...We did let DC go but Terry wasn't taking it easy on me.. He dropped me before the train tracks on the second lap but the gap was always small enough that I could always keep him in my sight on the longer straights. I did finally reel him back in after about 2/3 of the lap and we rode out together. When we got back to the lot another 2 Trek Y's had appeared..DC commented that maybe people that still own those bikes don't ride much so they don't realize what a pile they are. I'm not sure but that was enough for me. I did have an interesting ride planned for sunday that fell through as I took the kids to see this. It was time well spent and after the show we walked around Comerica park and looked at all the wonderful things Downtown has to offer. Gotta go...CYA TC

5 comments:

ask said...

I must confess that I don't miss going to shows like that. Never got to ride a y frame, started into the game to late, but I can imagine how inefficient they must have been.

sworksredace said...

They performed like a wet bag of crap but there was this huge advertising campaign pushing them at the time which made everyone want one. I guess they wouldn't be bad to ride around the sub...

... said...

I think you should start calling IRLA the "Ilse of Sodor" and DC AKA Sir Topan hat...HA,HA

Tom Nell could sell anything to anyone. Hence all the Y bikes still out there. Kinda brings back the memories...

Toot, Toot

sworksredace said...

Jeff that is so freaking hilarious only the parent of a 2yr old and a 4 yr old could appreciate that!!

sworksredace said...

Oh yes and Tom was quite a salesman. Hence all of the Ti spoked wheels laced to nuke proof hubs and who could forget those grafton levers.