Friday, June 8, 2007

26 vs. 29 any thoughts?

I recently rode Joe's Q29 er for a little while at PLRA. I must admit I was kinda in awe at the way it got up to speed and it did seem like it rolled pretty quickly. There were only 2 things that I can say that I didn't like. The first being what appeared to me to be a higher center of gravity which made the bike feel "tippy". The other thing was that the bigger wheels didn't seem to corner as quickly. I imagine if you eased into a corner using more brake then accelerated out it might seem faster but that would definately be something that I would have to work on. Overall I think that in 2 track or backroads the 29er would have an advantage but in tight singletrack I'm not sure and since I prefer riding trails to the backroads I don't know if it would be the right choice for me. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

ask said...

My $.02. 29er is a great option. Not as fast on the accel, but I have never had any problems in tight singletrack, maybe not as quite as quick, but plenty quick enough. My new ride is a 96er and it overcomes those issues and is a flat out awesome ride. The 26 in back gets back some of the accel and it climbs like a full 26er, but has the roll over benefits of the 29er up front. The key to the large wheel mtbs IMO is the geometry has to be right. You can't just take the relationships of a 26 inch frame and make them so 29 inch wheels fit. We should meet some time at a trailhead so you can compare a 29 inch hardtail to the 96er head to head.