Thursday, September 20, 2007

Pop-pop's girls

I received a phone call from my wife this morning while I was at work and asked one of the receptionists if she could speak with me. This struck me as odd because if she ever needs anythhing she usually sends me a text or pages me (which she did but unfortunately today I left my pager at the other office at the hospital). My mind raced, what could it be? Maybe one of the kids was sick or maybe she just needed me to get something on the way home. But I just had a funny feeling about this call and I could feel my gut wrenching. Well apparently my mom's dog passed away this morning. Katie was being borded for the past week as my mom was out east visiting some family and closing down the summer house. She was doing well,
according to the lady at the kennel but when they went out to feed her this morning they found her dead in her crate. I couldn't believe what my wife was telling me. Katie was only 10 years old and she always seemed healthy. She was a little hyper like most weims are but otherwise she had no outward signs of being sick. Talking to my mom was difficult. Katie was really my dads dog. He was the one who walked her, hunted with her and gave her her nightly bowl of ice cream at 9:00. I really think she missed my dad. It was funny the whole time he was sick she stuck by his side and after he passed she was never really the same. That is why I took the news so hard. I feel guilty that she wasn't staying with us but my mom wouldn't allow it stating that she would only be gone a short time and that she didn't mind staying at the kennel. So now I am torn. My mom doesn't get back home until saturday at 5 pm. The kennel said they would keep her body until then and my mom could either have her creamated or we could take her home to bury her. I'm sure my mom wants to see her one last time but I'm not sure how she is going to handle it. I want to see her as well and I know I'm not going to handle it well. Life just doesn't seem fair lately. I do know one thing for sure I know dad and Katie are probably playing up in heaven together looking down on all of us. Dad I hope that you two are having fun and I want you to know that mom is ok and we all miss you. Love Tom

No comments: