Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Whitpenn green, Germantown Academy and some pop

I got lost on the first ride of the day (planning to go to PLRA later to meet Joe for a couple laps but that is another story). Well not lost literally but figuratively. Somehow everything must have been aligned perfectly as I took off from home and for a minute I wasn't some 40 yr old dude riding along on my MTB wearing tight lycra shorts looking like a geek instead I was transported back to my youth and I felt as though I was riding my bike to one of my early morning swim practices at good old GA. It was almost like an out of body experience. The smell of the summer air, the humidity, the chirping birds, everything around me seemed to transform my ride. No longer was I riding old quattro but instead it felt like I was gripping the bars of my old Mongoose. I didn't really like swim practice, the pool was always cold especially at 8 in the morning and the Coach at the time Richard "DICK" Shoulberg was a real ASSHOLE. The only thing that made it bearable was riding my bike to and from it. There were all kinds of trails that could be found along the way and I usually ended up skipping practices (I didn't like kickboards being whizzed an inch from my head) and goofing off on my bike. There was also an old train station on the way which used to have a Coke machine out in front of it. I don't remember how much a Coke was back then (my guess is 50 cents) but I do recall that it used to dispense Cokes in the old glass bottles and they seemed to be ICE COLD every time. I guess that is why I still like riding my bike to this day. It allows me to goof off and not have to worry about what is going on in the world around me and it can allow me to relive some of my good childhood memories. I guess that is why half way through this mornings ride I found a party store and bought a Coke (and a hostess cupcake as well). The Coke tasted the same but somehow plastic bottles don't get as cold as the old glass ones do. Well 3 1/2 hrs later and I'm at home. Gonna get some rest and hopefully have something in me for tonight. If not I'll have some good excuses, right?

1 comment:

ask said...

What excuse, that you filled up on coke and cupcakes?
Glad I didn't swim as a kid - drugs were my recreation of choice. Usually while riding my bike.