Sunday, July 29, 2007

Stoney TT report

Not much new to the Stoney course. It seems that after multiple races at the same venue you get to know every rock and root. I pre-registered as usual the night before the race (thanks again Uncle Robert) and really was not looking forward to racing today. I rode 2 laps rather hard out there yesterday with DC and the Wiz (who didn't race today) and my legs were feeling it this morning. As I rolled in to the Bayside lot I could see that the usual suspects were on hand. Christian was going to be the guy to beat at his home course as the Simonster decided to skip the event and do a backroad ride with the Lumpy. The big question in my mind was who would take 2nd and 3rd. As I lined up at the start I was kinda bummed to find that I didn't have a starting partner. I always find that going out with another competitor lets you gauge how hard you should be riding. Anyways I rode out through the grass feeling kinda lame. In my mind I already knew I didn't have the power in my legs today and I knew that it wasn't like I was going to find it anywhere out on the course. So I settled into a comfortable pace but never felt like I was redlining it or pushing myself to hard. DC caught me on one of the uphills (he was supposed to be racing elite but something happened and he ended up starting about a minute behind me). As he stood up to climb I knew that I should do the same but my legs didn't have anything to give so I watched him ride off. It was to bad he didn't catch me on one of the flat sections because it would have been good to draft off of him for a while and recover a little. Well anyway I caught some other guys and never was passed by anybody other than DC and the top expert 19-29 year old guy (also on a climb with no chance to wheelsuck DAMN!!!) Oh well the river crossing at the end gave me a chance to practice some CX dismounting and running (which felt pretty good). In the end I came in 5th in my class. Not bad but not what I wanted. Oh well I guess if I had ridden smarter yesterday the results might have been different. The elite results came back with Christian winning by like 2 and a half minutes over Chris Goddard. I'm not sure who was third and I think fourth was either John Meyers or Greg Kuhncappi. After the race DC and I decided to go ride around and survey some of the other races. We went down to the water crossing but didn't see any good crashes or dismounts gone awry. The funniest thing had to be watching the SS's....Jeff Weinert was absolutely hauling ass (I'll have to look up his time compared to the geared guys but I'll bet he was up there) coming down the downhills with his foot unclipped ringing the bell on his handlebars yelling "ice cream". Freakking HILARIOUS. Actually as I write this I wonder how Jeff would have done on a geared bike against Christian...I bet it would be close...Well that is all to report..Oh yea one last thing that RS girl was flying today...HA HA HA

1 comment:

ask said...

Flying the freak flag maybe!