Friday, March 21, 2008

WHY DO WE DO THIS

The outlook for today was bleak. With some home improvement stuff to work on in the morning the only time I could ride was in the afternoon and judging by the chill in the air the thought of riding anywhere outside just didn't seem exciting. However since I knew it was supposed to snow later today and possible tomorrow I decided to once again brave the elements and head out for a little local road ride that lead to Stoney Creek Metropark. As the wind ripped across my face (which seemed like the whole ride) I began to become jealous of those lucky people that live in the warmer climates. I imagined what it must feel like to be able to ride this time of year in shorts and a short sleeve jersey. My aunt who lives in South Carolina recently tried to convince me to move the family down there. The thought does seem mighty tempting but unless my mom decides to move there as well I don't think that will be happening. That and the fact that the Michigan economy is so crappy that I would have to practically give my house away in order to move. The thing is usually after a ride like today's I usually feel a sense of accomplishment. I figure how many other poor suckers like myself are out there getting in some good base miles before spring is really upon us. Today however I found myself getting increasingly aggitated with each pedal stroke. How much longer can this cold weather last. How much more snow can we endure. For the time being I'm able to hold on as I keep telling myself that shortly the weather will turn and the trails will dry up. I think that is the only thing I can do because I don't see any moves to SC in my near future, but you never know. TC

1 comment:

Timothy Finkelstein said...

Tom,

I feel for you man I really do. I would write more sympathetic words if I wasn't running late to head out the front door of the vacation condo I am currently staying in Northern Ga for a ride in just shorts and a jersey.

Sorry. Tim