Wednesday, October 31, 2007

It's hard to figure this biking stuff out




The past week was kind of a lost one. Late last week I felt like I was coming down with some kind of cold. As a result I took off Friday and didn't ride much Saturday since the weather was so nasty. The thought of riding on Sunday didn't seem to appealing but I decided to head over to PLRA for 2 laps and then some light backroad work. Monday was more of the same as again I headed to Pontiac and downed 2 laps fairly easily. Here's where things get sticky. Tuesday comes around and mentally I feel strong but my legs are feeling tired and sore. So I decided to ride out to from my house to Stoney. It is about 12 miles and I figured that would give me a good warm up before hitting the trail (in case anyone is wondering texting is a good way while riding to kill some miles at a warm up pace). After hitting the trailhead I proceeded to rip off two laps that were 3 1/2 minutes and 4 minutes faster than my lap times at the last Stoney XC race. I mean I was flying up hills that I was dragging my ass up last September. I finished up my ride with a quick spin on the road before heading back home. Overall it was a great ride and a great day. So today is Halloween. The plan is to shoot over to PLRA after work to rip off one hot lap before heading home to take the kids out Trick or Treating. The problem is my hot lap never materialized. I had every vision of killing it today but my body wouldn't cooperate. I had no legs on the hills or one the flats. I'm pretty sure that any choad out there today could have passed me and there would have been little I could have done to counter. It is funny how one day you can feel shitty but have an incredible ride and the next day your mental edge can be there but the body just isn't willing or able to go. Well at least I got to take the kids out for Halloween. For the most part we had a lot of fun. We did happen upon one house where one adult was dressed up as a skeleton sitting in the bushes. The kids were interested to see if he was real or not however when the person made an attempt to get out of his chair both of the kids FREAKED OUT and Jenna practically lept into my arms. Zach was scared too but he just proceeded to walk off stating "I don't like that skeleton anymore!!!"

2 comments:

ask said...

The mind can be willing and the body doesn't cooperate, or vice versa. Figuring out when the 'bad' days are is not easy.

I had a neighbor that absolutely scared the crap out of my kids when they were little - hilarious! They were always a little nervous around him from there on.

sworksredace said...

I don't think my kids will be going near that neighbors house anytime soon.