Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What a difference a day makes

Tuesday was a beautiful warm fall day. As I arrived at the entrance to PLRA I had my training plan in mind. Today's goal was to ride 2 laps the first one being a hard lap, attack the hills and then recover followed by a more casual tempo controlled lap. I must admit I rode 2 laps on Monday and felt great. The legs were a little heavy at first but as the ride progressed I felt stronger and stronger. Today's laps would not be the same. From the start of today's ride I didn't feel right. Mentally I was prepared but my body was not responding. I never felt comfortable attacking and to top it off I was starting to get some lower back pain. After descending down from the first big climb I noticed a guy riding a specialized FS bike a little way down the trail. Seeing anyone in front of me usually causes me to wick up the pace and I soon found myself within 20 yards of the rider. I caught him at a section we call Terry's tumble (that's a story for another day). I slowed down and I figured he heard me coming because he slowed and moved to the right side of the trail. Well unfortunately for this guy the place he decides to move over at is slightly off camber and as just as I was passing him he starts to loose his balance. He didn't fall but didn't look to gracefull as he dismounted his steed. I breezed by not thinking much about the situation then from behind me I hear the guy shouting "Hey asshole slow down next time". Well that is definately one way to get my attention to which I respond "well maybe if you could ride faster this wouldn't have been a problem" I slowed down only because I was interested in what this guy was going to say next. Nothing really to interesting but I got the impression that he thought I was a dick. That incident kinda killed my motivation to ride (that and the fact my back pain was getting progressively worse) caused me to abort the ride after one lap. After getting back to my car I looked at my saddle and noticed that my wonderful Easton EC 70 post had slipped allowing my saddle to tip upwards, which I assumed was causing my LBP. I decided to go home and correct my saddle positioning but more importantly I finally got off my ass and ordered up a Thomson Elite post. I know there are sexier and lighter posts out there but I've had enough of the old slippage of the saddle. My attitude adjustment will have to wait, just ask the dude on the Epic.

No comments: