Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Ted Gray

Not that anyone reads this crap anyway but does anyone know who Ted Gray was? I suspect he was probably some old dude that had a lot to do with making the trails at Indy Oaks. I would like to thank him for kicking my ass this last week. Yesterday I skied for 2 hours...did 3 hill laps and 2 lake laps. By the time I was done my legs were done...cooked. There haven't been to many people out skiing since the weather has gotten so cold and I only saw one other guy skiing and two other people running. I did have some fun with the other dude that was out there skiing as he blew past me at the trailhead. I was drinking some gatorade and was about to call it quits but he had nice form and was moving pretty quickly so I decided to see if I could catch him after he had a nice gap on me. I caught him on the last climb before you make the left to go around the lake and he noticed that I was behind him so he tried to wick it up a little. I love it that is when you know someone is trying to show U how big their stones are. So I just hung out behind him waiting for him to blow. He did two wheelies and then almost fell before letting me get by on the flats...I figured he probably had enough and had to back it down. Got back to the parking lot and was changed before he came back in...It's fun to play with the choads. TC

4 comments:

rachel said...

you are such a dork beatin' up freds on the trail.
so do you wanna ride the A2 loop next Thursday night? i think i heard Team Awesome may be there.

Rooster said...

Ted Gray pitched all but one season of his nine-year major league career with the Detroit Tigers. In his last season, the poor guy was released by four American League teams.

He was signed as a free agent by the Tigers in 1942, when he was 17 years old. He played in the minors in Beaumont, Winston-Salem, in the service, and with Buffalo. He came to the majors for the first time in 1946, pitching in 3 games. He came back to stay in 1948.

Gray was usually a starter, but also had some relief appearances each year. He won 59 games in his major league career, with a high of 12 in 1952 and three other seasons when he won 10. He was in the top ten in strikeouts four times, but he was also among the leaders in home runs allowed three times.

Gray was named to the All Star team in 1950 and took the loss. An article appeared in Baseball Digest saying that he appeared "despite his unimpressive 10-7, 4.40 stats" that year.

The Tigers were a consistently good team while he was with them from 1946-1950, but they slid into the second division from 1951 on, losing 104 games in 1952.

Rooster said...

beating up freds on the trail...
beating up freds on the internet...
its all the same

sworksredace said...

That is some good stuff Dave...U shoulda seen the guy with his new rossi X-ium skis and boots. I was all over the dude and was doing a Cameron behind him just hanging out waiting for him to blow. Then KAPOW he starts to falter and then just pulls over...