Saturday, November 3, 2007

CAMO MAN


I've never been much of a deer hunter. I figure it is just a way "the guys" can get away from their wives, drink some beers and try to kill something. I've had several encounters with hunters while riding at PLRA this time of the year. It's funny because they always look so serious as they are walking down the bike trail (as if deer run the same trails we ride). What is even funnier is that most of these guys are dressed up in all of their camo trying to be all stealth so as not to alert the deer to their presence. Today near the end of panty ridge I came across this guy walking up the trail towards me with wearing pretty much every piece of camouflage you could imagine. He even had one of those camo masks over his face. Now like I said I'm no deer hunter but from what I've heard deer are supposed to have a keen sense of smell and the most wiley of hunters try to do everything to keep their scent (read body odor) from escaping and alerting the deer to their presence. It was funny because even with all of his camo and scent block crap on I could still smell the stench of beer and cigarettes on this fool. I wonder if he got the "big one" today.

2 comments:

Timothy Finkelstein said...

I too had a run in with a hunter today at plra. Clearly he was more "man" than me as he would not move out of my way as I came bombing 25mph at him on a descent.

ask said...

There was nearly a fight at Poto last Saturday. Knucklehead camo man couldn't hear a full suspension bike with 225 lb guy on it coming down the trail and got spooked. Not sure what he was hunting, but probably involved a flask ful of some fire water.